Judul : Big ichthyologial conservation questions for Greece in 2016
link : Big ichthyologial conservation questions for Greece in 2016
Big ichthyologial conservation questions for Greece in 2016
|Illegal hunting of Ionian trout in Greece. This disaster dries up many streams in the highlands. Immediate attention is needed.|
Scanning the scientific horizon of etiologically relevant conservation until 2016
Here I seek to identify issues that may have a significant impact on biodiversity conservation science in Greece, but are not widely known or understood in the conservation and natural history communities operating in that country today. This is a quick personal "Horizon Scan" brainstorm and aims to inform interest and speech and action in 2016.
Criteria : a) must be in line with environmental protection and politics, b) must help save and protect truly protected areas, c) must help connect local communities and support the local economy and quality of life, d) must help science establish itself in Greece. , particularly with the reasonable application of scientific approaches in the field of environmental management.
A storm of thoughts.
- Complete the classification of Greek fish . Name all anonymous species; I think there are at least 10 species that need valid names.
- Maps of rivers, small wetlands (including springs), etc. Greece still has a poor inventory system, but it is an incredibly rich country. Ichthyologically weak data and poorly linked to "wetland inventory".
- Use of fish in water management. Building a national index linked to the Water Framework Directive linking and integrating EU standardized methods for assessing the ecological quality of rivers.
- It is also working on the construction of WFD indices in lakes and transitional waters .
- To analyze and monitor the status of freshwater alien fish in Greece.
- to protect places from the spread of foreign species . Some areas are particularly vulnerable because some fisheries are developed (mainly lakes and new reservoirs).
- Protect sites from the spread of displaced species . Species displaced from neighboring ecosystems (even within countries) are also alien... and can cause destructive hybridization and other damage to local endemic stocks and destroy native and aquatic endemic biota. The evidence on this topic is mounting and scientists need to work together.
- Focus on brown trout (conservation genetics, conservation management, fishery management, stock status).
- Species recognition initiatives . Find out how to bring species back to places where they are now extinct.
- Find the last sturgeon in Evros / Merrick and save it.
- Find the Vistonis Shad . If it disappears, try to explain why. Restore the lake and introduce the next species to fill the void.
- Explore uncharted areas to focus on the distribution of rare and endemic species.
- promote fishing ; create and promote a diary of the 100 best places to spot freshwater fish. Expresses appreciation of fish.
- Trailer protection and recovery. See how the obstacles affect the fish.
- Ecological flows . It is important to work towards naturalizing the flow regime where possible.
- Focus on the anadromo Alosa fallax . where it breeds, where it concentrates in marine waters. The EU Habitats Directive procedure obliges Greece to offer protected areas to this species.
- Ex situ conservation is not a priority in my opinion, but it is an opportunity to identify and reintroduce species.
- Explain and interpret the biogeography of inland waters . Use the new fish taxonomy. Bridging biogeographic boundaries (fine-scale and multi-level approach).
- Help us promote fly fishing in Greece.
- Encourage the creation of a recreational fishing licensing system in Greece . currently no license is required and destructive fishing is widespread.
- Establish a system of monitoring and surveillance of protected areas , particularly where native trout survive. There is also a lack of active policing and enforcement in transitional waters.
- Support the restructuring of the Natura 2000 network to include new areas in the Greek protected areas system. Our team working on the Natura 2000 fisheries project made some recommendations in 2015.
- edit the eels . Either way, IUCN is critical and vulnerable. Inclusion of eels in the index of biological integrity of small watercourses (including islands).
- Promote freshwater fish by displaying them in public aquariums . Today, Greece has aquariums in Rhodes, Drama, Kerkini (Vironia), Kastoria. Give people more ways to connect.
- Create creative ways for citizens to engage in science . At HCMR we are working on a 'fish list' website to inform and engage the public.
- promote better training in electrofishing and other sampling techniques ; standardized support methods.
- Fish in or around urban areas . We are working to raise awareness in urban areas. fish exist and can provide conservation and education opportunities. They can be symbols of conservation (think eels, mullets, oddities, oddities, aliens).
- Cultivation of fish parasites . alien parasites.
- Protect and develop small wetlands where opportunities exist.
- Movement of fish and fish habitats in flood management .
- Fish farming in transitional waters . Little is known about whether populations of important species are poorly managed and declining.
- Based on the success of the restoration work. Visit Louros, Nestos, Evros, Sperkios, where water conservation and restoration work has yielded positive results.
- Fishermen are united . We need better ichthyology in the field and bring in amateur naturalists as well. In Greece, we are still in the development stage in this regard.
Nature learners, take this opportunity and call us to help you.
|Teaching and training are very important especially during an internship abroad. Here, Professor Martínez-Kapel provides assessment techniques to Greek students in a stream near Athens.|
|Capture and release in Greece. A small community of people do. we should encourage it and work with local trout of the same endemic strain and help local communities value their rivers as recreation, tourism and natural beauty (Photo: Tolis Lachanas)|
|Greek barbel (Luciobarbus graecus) and IUCN threatened species can be observed in some waters of Attica (Lake Beletsi and Lake Marathon). The hobby of watching fish can develop when they are fed.|
|The floods of Euros. Flood disasters are a real problem, and the fight against destruction must go hand in hand with ecological restoration. Floods are important for the distribution of fish.|
|Illegal hunting of the endangered Ionian trout in Greece. This disaster dries up many streams in the highlands. Immediate attention is needed. (Photo by Tolis Lachanas).|
That's the article Big ichthyologial conservation questions for Greece in 2016
That's it for the article Big ichthyologial conservation questions for Greece in 2016 this time, hopefully can be useful for all of you. okay, see you in another article post.
You are now reading the article Big ichthyologial conservation questions for Greece in 2016 with link address https://www.adventure-news.com/2022/09/big-ichthyologial-conservation.html